Archive for Statistics

Projections for Library Occupations

Did you know that there are only 25,900 college/university librarians in the country? And that the number who will be leaving the profession in the next few years exceeds the average exit rate for other occupations? These and other data points, along with links for additional information, can be found here.

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

How Did Your School/District Do in the 2017/18 New Jersey Report Cards?

A plethora of information are contained in the various reports that were issued this month: from languages spoken at home to metrics involving career and college readiness. Reports are available in English and Spanish; summaries are also given as some of these documents are 60 pages long.

Leave a Comment

County by County Health Rankings in the United States

Utilizing a vast array of metrics from diverse sources, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the University of Wisconsin have compiled a health profile for every county in the country; the data can be selected at either the state or county level. Here is the New Jersey report; Hudson County’s figures are here. The report’s key findings are also available. You also have the ability to compare counties.

Leave a Comment

Projections of Education Statistics to 2027

The 46th iteration of this title, heavily buttressed with numerous charts, tables, and figures, presents future trends in education from elementary levels to post-secondary institutions. For those at the college level, Section 5 is of most interest. Among the findings:

there will be a 3% increase in total enrollment by 2027 (figure 16); the increase in full-time students will be 2% while part-time enrollment will total 5% (figure 19); and there will be a 6% increase in the number of African-American students as well as a 14% increase in the number of Hispanic students, while white students will decrease by 8% (figure 21).

Leave a Comment

2017 Digest of Education Statistics

Because of the sheer amount of data compiled and analyzed, it takes some time for a volume of this size to see the light of day. Be that as it may, this iteration, like the others before, states that “Its primary purpose is to provide a compilation of statistical information covering the broad field of American education from prekindergarten through graduate school. The Digest includes a selection of data from many sources, both government and private, and draws especially on the results of surveys and activities carried out by the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES). “(foreword)

Prior years back to 1990 can be accssed online as well; updated figures released after this volume’s publication can be perused online as well.

For those for are interested in international education, chapter six and its tables provide a wealth of information.

Leave a Comment

Education of Racial and Ethnic Groups in the United States

A plethora of charts, along with analyses, populate this recent NCES report – Status and Trends in the Education of Racial and Ethnic Groups. From elementary education to postsecondary enrollment, this document  “Through indicators and spotlights—which examine selected topics in greater detail— …. shows that over time, increasing numbers of students in the racial/ethnic groups of White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, American Indian/Alaska Native, and Two or more races have completed high school and continued their education in college.” Certain topics are broken down into sub-groups for a more comprehensive look. (Indicator 19 for college participation rates among subgroups is a case in point.)

Leave a Comment

100 Years of Election Results of the UK House of Commons

UK Election Statistics: 1918-2018 – 100 years of elections presents a plethora of data ranging from characteristics of legislators to party representations in the various contests. You would be hard-pressed to find so much information aggregated in one document. Another portal into UK voting is offered through Electoral Statistics; this site offers insights into the voting population.

Leave a Comment

Older Posts »